| | | |

Sunday, 12 October 2014

This Week Was Pretty Epic

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
John Wayne

A quick little follow up to yesterday's post (link). (Okay, it turned out not very little at all... I had good intentions though!) While I found it cathartic getting that stuff off my chest, I always feel a little guilty when I complain. When I started this blog I wanted to convey a positive image of disability and show being disabled doesn't mean you're a depressive shut in. Because even in this day and age, that is how some people imagine disabled people to be. People wonder how we get through the day and I hate that. However due to unforeseen things that happened after I started my blog, I ended up blogging about anxiety and struggles related to my disability more than I anticipated. I felt like my blog was doing the opposite to what I initially set out to do.

But then I realised that is just real life. I wouldn't be doing anyone - least of all me - any favours by holding back. While I might write about things I'm going through that suck and those things may or may not be related to my disability, it doesn't mean that's all my life is. Everyone has their shit, and the important thing isn't to seem invincible by never having struggles, it's by showing how you overcome them. And that translates to anyone, not just people with disabilities.

So while I felt a little guilty about being such a bummer yesterday and felt like I wanted to do a follow up today so the last post on my blog wasn't me complaining about feeling a bit shitty, I know being honest about these things is really for the best. I'm not infallible, emotionally or physically. And my blog wouldn't be an honest representation of my life if I pretended I was. Now! On to other stuff.

While I was too busy complaining in my last entry, I totally forgot to mention the other stuff that happened during the week. On Monday my sister and I were in the kitchen with our chihuahuas and out of the corner of my eye I seen my Edwin chase something across the kitchen. At first I thought it was a bird, but as my sister grabbed the puppies and the thing ran under my feet, it became obvious it was actually a mouse. It ran straight out of the kitchen and into my sister's room. Obviously one of the cats had brought their new toy home more alive than usual. When Eva was afraid, I was all "Psh, it's just a mouse. It'll be fine." Well, it sure didn't take my bravery long to disappear when lying in bed that night I heard shuffling around MY room. At first I thought it was my imagination, and then I heard it eating some kinda crumb. Amazing how something so small can be so loud. I totally freaked out and made Eva and Berty sleep in beside Edwin and I in my single bed. She was super annoyed because I ended up not being able to sleep and kept talking to her until 5am. I was fine during the day, but I was scared I'd wake up and the mouse would be staring at me! We'd set up a home made live trap by putting some chocolate in a tub, thinking it would fall in and not be able to get out. When we looked in the morning the mouse had ate some of the chocolate and jumped back out. My cats couldn't have been any less interested in trying to look for it, but I was a little glad because I didn't want them to kill it anyway. The next night we made the trap again using my bin instead because it was deeper. I didn't have Eva stay with me because I felt a little braver. True to form, I heard Jimmy (yes, we named the mouse) rustling about. A little while later he started making A LOT of noise and it took me a little while to realise maybe the trap had worked.

We had indeed caught Jimmy!

It felt good being able to release him. There's only been one other time the cats brought in one that was still alive and it ended up dying in my sister's room. Rodents are one of my favourite kinds of animals. I've owned both fancy mice and rats. I don't see them as disgusting vermin, just wildlife. So the success of Mission: Catch & Release Jimmy was a good thing that happened during the week.

A second good thing that happened this week was this...

Okay, you probably don't know what this is and that's okay. You may or may not remember me posting about a Canadian Ice Sledge Hockey player that favourited one of my Tweets a while back. (link) Basically he went one better this time and replied to my Man Crush Monday post. It doesn't seem like a big deal to others because in the grand scheme of things he isn't really famous, but I had a total fan girl moment. I've been following him since Sochi and he is such a positive and inspirational person. So yeah, once I got over the embarrassment of seeming like a creeper... I was super chuffed he replied. 

I also had my first practice controlled assessment in class on Thursday. I spent the three days before solid revising. My family thought it was a bit much, but I wanted to give it my best. I remembered a lot of what I was supposed to write, but I didn't get the assessment finished. I have much the same problem in class as I do on my blog. I'm a long winded writer. Something I'll have to rectify when I go to do the real thing. For this Thursday we have to prepare a short informal presentation on our favourite book or movie. I've decided to do Rent. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also terrified. Speaking in front of people isn't my strong point, but challenging myself is what I wanted to do when I decided to take this course... hopefully my anxiety won't get the best of me. 

And that brings us to the last good event of this week, and the one that really turned my mood around. The reason I felt like I could do a follow up to yesterday's post and say I'm feeling good. Last night Eva and I went to an ice hockey match. Belfast Giants vs Dundee Stars. The actual game itself was a little boring. I mean, I still enjoyed it but...

Yeah, landslide wins are never as entertaining. Still, a win is a win! It was my first time seeing Dundee and they looked promising at the beginning. Before the match there had been a lot of talk about the fact the goalie was the younger brother of one of the Giants, Evan Cheverie. Cheverie vs Cheverie they kept saying. Well, it wasn't much of a competition. He ended up letting 6 goals in and was swapped for Dundee's second goalie. When we were 6 ahead and 1 down, they let the Giants second goalie and token Norn Irish player Andrew Dickson play. It was my first time seeing him play, and he didn't let us down! Oh, I also painted my nails in the team colours for the match...

There's a bar called McCool's that stays open after the game where fans can go and some of the players go too. Eva and I ended up going there after to wait for my dad as he was out for dinner with my mum. Sadly I didn't get any photos with any of the Giant's as they were just turning up as we had to leave. Andrew Dickson, Jeff Mason and Mike Kompon were there. On the way out I drove passed Mason. It was difficult getting passed the crowd, especially after a vodka and cola, but luckily I did not run over his foot. I really wished I could have stopped to take a photo with him, but I didn't have time. I said as much on Twitter after and...

Gotta love social media!

I love zipping around the Odyssey in my electric wheelchair when I'm leaving and it was particularly fun last night because it was mostly empty. I was driving backwards towards the lift and Eva was like "Careful there's someone behind you!" and when I turned around I realised I almost ran into one of the Giant's, Mike Kompon. He was all, "You're alright!" Glad I didn't mow down one of the Giants. Wouldn't make me a great fan. But yes, it was pretty awesome seeing them so close up. Hopefully next time I'll have the time and courage to ask for a photo. We've decided we're going to book a room at the Premier Inn next to the arena so we can stay later at the next match on the 31st of Oct. Hopefully more Giant's will be there that night. Plus there's other bars in that area and it's Halloween. I won't be dressing up for Halloween again, but oh well

So yes, this week wasn't all bad. It was actually pretty darn good. I guess I just needed to vent the bad to be able to remember and appreciate all the good things. I'm just lucky that having my blog gives me the opportunity to do that. I hope everyone else had an awesome week too. 

PS! I mentioned in my last post that Edwin was 6 months a couple of days ago. I wanted to show you a photo of him and I on the day I got him (07/06/14) compared to a photo of him and I yesterday (11/10/14) before I left for the match. Can't believe how different we both look 4 months later...

No comments:

Post a comment

I read and welcome all comments and appreciate them greatly even if I may not answer all of them. I love hearing my reader's thoughts and interacting with you. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...