| | | |

Sunday, 18 January 2015

My Week In Words | #3 2015

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

Howdy people! Welcome to this weeks instalment of, My Week In Words. This week's post covers from Sunday 11th to Saturday 17th of January

Sunday was a bit of a rest day. I knew I'd be working hard during the week for my controlled assessment, so I figured I'd just take a day. In the morning I finished last week's MWIW post, then later my aunt Karen visited. It felt like forever since we'd seen her, so it was good to catch up. We filled her in on meeting a couple of the players the night before. I think she was a tad jealous. After she left I worked on my next Arts & Crafts post. It's a bit of a random one, but it was fun. I really needed something to distract me from the game the Giants were playing away. I follow away games on Twitter and you'd be surprised how stressful it can be. Short story, we lost. But lets not dwell on that. 

On Monday I'd planned to start my revision for Thursday early. However, that didn't go to plan. I'm like a broken record, but I'm not going to break a procrastinating habit of a life time over night. Protip: Don't start watching a new show the day you want to get a lot of work done. I decided to check out Chasing Life while I ate breakfast. I'd seen a preview clip on the Switched At Birth Facebook page as they both air on ABC Family. Lets just say, I'm a sucker for movies or shows that feature sick or disabled people. Though it was these faces that really caught me.

(Source no longer available)

I've been pretty much in love with Scott Michael Foster since Greek. Cappie is one of my favourite characters ever. So even though I had a feeling watching him in Chasing Life would rip my heart out, I had to give it a go. I fell in love with Italia Ricci pretty quickly. She's just really pretty and adorable. There's only one series of eleven episodes, and I watched five or so of those episodes on Monday. Which didn't really leave much time for revision. I have awesome priorities, I know. I did finally knuckle down and start my revision that evening. Better late than never.

and Wednesday were pretty much identical. I watched an episode or two of Chasing Life while I ate breakfast, before I started my revision. Revision wasn't too difficult since it was for a controlled assessment and therefore we knew the question etc. My tutor had basically said I just needed to repeat what I'd written in my practice, so I just had to memorise it. I gave each of the twelve paragraphs a heading to hint what they were about and to make it easier to remember the order. Then I just typed the essay out... a lot. That was pretty much all I did those two days, though on Wednesday I took half an hour to quickly type up my first review of 2015! You can read that here. 

I was a little nervous about Thursday. My method for revision had worked last time, but I was worried that was a fluke. I started the day by finishing Chasing Life. To be honest, the prospect of bombing my assessment paled in comparison to Scott Michael Foster, or well.. Leo, flatlining at the end of the episode. Worst. Cliffhanger. Ever. A show about cancer really puts things in perspective.
I did some more revision after that, but decided to relax for the hour or two before I had to leave. I figured if it hadn't gone in, it wasn't going to go in. Even Effy thought I'd done enough! I was dreading going out because the weather has been so bad, but it was like being in the eye of the storm when we finally left. It was freezing, but the wind and rain had stopped. I was greeted by my assistant and I had my own room again for this exam and a laptop. There was also an exam invigilator. I needn't have worried, my assessment went great. I basically remembered the essay word for word, apart from the end of one paragraph I couldn't remember how I'd worded. I made some other tweaks too, but all in all it was pretty on point. I decided not to read it after, much to the dismay of the invigilator since I had twenty minutes left. I just wanted to go home.

On Friday morning Eva and I watched some Youtube videos. Mostly Youtubers getting puppies! First Eva showed me Matthew Lush and Nick Laws get their puppy, Weebo. Then I introduced Eva to RJ and Will and Brian and Dan, and we watched them get Dobby and Maddy. We were saying how it's so funny that everyone seems to act same when they get a new puppy. After that Eva and I watched Get Smart. I had my laptop, so I didn't give it my full attention (much to the annoyance of Eva), but it was pretty good. I mean, you can't go too wrong with a bit of Steve Carell. After the movie I tried to knuckle down and work on this post before I showered.

Saturday was a hella busy day. I forgot to include this in last week's post, but I got a letter for a random cardiac appointment. I've never had one before, and had no idea who referred me or why. Yay for mystery hospital appointments.

Anyway, the appointment was yesterday. It was at noon in the Royal Victoria Hospital. It's been years since I had an appointment there. I was feeling a little nostalgic, but it was different since I wasn't using the children's entrance anymore. I got there and went straight in for an ECG. It was the most thorough ECG I've ever had. The guy kept having to move the little probe things and stuff. Also it was the first ECG I've had done by a guy. I don't wear a bra so... awkward. And I'd forgotten to shave my legs. So yeah, not great. We waited about ten minutes and then we were called in to see Dr Muir and she finally filled me in on why I was there. My neurologist had referred me, presumably before I was fully diagnosed, as some forms of Congenital Muscular Dystrophy can affect your heart and means your heart has to be routinely checked. I informed her I had a Collagen VI Myopathy and she said it was unlikely to be a problem in that case. She thought I'd already had a heart scan, but I hadn't. So I have to go back for that, but if that goes okay I shouldn't have to go back routinely. If they can't see much in the can, I might have to get an MRI, but I'm hoping I can avoid that. She said although my heart was a bit fast, my ECG was otherwise fine. After the hospital dad and I went for a bite to eat in Bloomfields and then I wanted to do a bit of shopping. Since my appetite has been so bad and I've been trying to branch out what I eat and eat healthier, I decided to pick up some food to try and cook semi by myself.

I want to learn some pasta, noodle and rice dishes. Things that are simple to make and simple to eat. I guess I just want to branch out and experiment some.  Hopefully I can get my appetite going and have fun with it. I may blog about some of my attempts! I also bought two cute little dishes from Poundland to make my pasta bakes in. I also got this nice blue glass from Tesco for £1! I've been eyeing it up for ages. Bargain! Am I right? Maybe it will entice me to drink more water... After that we nipped into Exhibit and got this nice cardigan.

After nipping home for about half an hour, my dad and I then went to my grandparent's house. I was a little nervous as I hadn't been in a while and my granny has had more trouble recognising people recently, but she was having a good day. It was good to see her. To celebrate my cardiac appointment she sang If I Only Had A Brain from Wizard Of Oz, but changed the words to 'if I only had a heart'. By the time I got home last night I was pretty shattered. I couldn't focus enough to write much of this post. I ended up browsing online and planned to have an early night, but some how it ended up 1am! Funny how time does that. So yeah, that was my week!

How was your week?


  1. I love this style of post and I love that opening quote! Random hospital appointments are always a bit, well random? Haha I once had once two years after I was referred, the paper work had got lost somewhere which is quite bad really! I hope you have a good week :)


    1. Thank you! I'm really enjoying having a little more organisation and structure. Though I didn't plan on them being so long! Keep thinking everyone will be put off, but its hard cutting stuff out. Lol. Oh wow, that is quite the wait! Gotta love the NHS. Lol. Kidding, I do appreciate it. :D

      Sara Bloo xo


I read and welcome all comments and appreciate them greatly even if I may not answer all of them. I love hearing my reader's thoughts and interacting with you. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...